Readings from: Public Relations- Strategies and Tactics
The Communications Explosion
- In the 1990’s the internet grew from a means of exchanging scientific information in a relatively small community to become a global communications tool for the masses, blending telephone, television, and the computer into an information superhighway.
- Primary use- Communication (email and research).
- Internet content is uncontrolled.
- Used by public relations practitioners in: dictation, voice generation, expert system programming, processing of news releases, e-mail, desk-top publishing, mailing list generation, online conferencing, graphics production, and facsimile transmission.
- Major newspapers use satellites to transmit material to regional printing plants.
- Many companies deliver news releases via satellite including audio and video releases.
- Teleconferencing is a rapidly growing application of satellite transmission.