Readings from: Public Relations- Strategies and Tactics
Libel and Defamation
- The concept of defamation involves a false and malicious communication with and identifiable subject who is injured either financially or by loss of reputation or mental suffering.
- Libel suits can be avoided through the careful use of language.
Invasion of Privacy
- Companies cannot assume when publishing newsletters that a person waives his or her right to privacy due to status as an employee.
- It is important to get written permission to publish photos or use employees in advertising materials.
Regulations by Government Agencies
- Commercial speech is regulated by the government in the interest of public health, safety, and consumer protection.
- FTC, SEC, FDA, EEOC.
The Attorney/Public Relations Relationship
- Because of all the issues discussed in this chapter, a cooperative relationship must exist between public relations personnel and legal counsel.
- Both groups should report to the same executive and are represented on key committees.