Readings from: Public Relations- Strategies and Tactics
Diverse and Multicultural Nature of the Public Relations Audience
- Audiences are complex mingling of groups with diverse cultural, ethnic, religious, and economic attributes.
- Through technology and research, it’s now possible to segment audiences a number of ways that help the public relations communicator understand the characteristics of the audience and how to best communicate with them.
- Audiences are visually oriented, increasingly taking control of how they want to receive information.
Reaching Diverse Age Groups
- Have different values, interests, and needs.
- Must understand youth groups such as Generation X and Y as well as the coming wave of baby boomers who are reaching retirement.
- Each group prefers to receive information through different media channels.
Other Emerging Audiences
- Catholic and Evangelical groups, gay/lesbian community, disabled, and women.
Reaching Global Audiences
- The global economy makes it necessary for public relations professionals to consider the cultures and values of many diverse nations.
- Conducting a public relations program abroad takes a great deal of sensitivity.