Readings from: Public Relations- Strategies and Tactics
A New Way of Thinking:
- By defining public relations as strategic management of competition and conflict, a fresh and vigorous approach to public relations is envisioned.
- Public relations is positioned to earn influence within organizations by focusing on achieving objectives.
Contingency Theory of Conflict Management
- Argues for a dynamic and multifaceted approach to dealing with conflict in the field.
- Attempts to convey information regarding risk to public health and safety and the environment.
- The communicator must begin early, identify and address the public’s concerns, recognize the public as a partner, anticipate hostility, respond to the needs of the news media, and always be honest.
- Lack of crisis management plans.
- This asset is impacted by how the organization deals with conflict, particularly those in crises that generate significant media attention.
- Using research to monitor reputation and making realistic responses after crises have passed can minimize damage to an organization’s reputation.