In class today, we discussed the chance that a tragic Media accident could occur without any notice. I was reminded of the awful video that was released of the former Domino’s employee who thought it would be funny to tamper with the ingredients of a customer’s sandwich. The video makes me cringe with every view, but it just reminds us that if and when a problem or crisis occurs, there is a process that we must go through to initiate damage control. According to Public Relations: Strategies and Tactics, this is the plan that should be implemented during a crisis.
1. Make progress visible
2. Analyze what went wrong
3. Improve governance structure
4. Make CEO and leadership accessible to media
5. Fire employees involved in problem
6. Commit to high corporate citizenship standards
7. Carefully review ethics policies
8. Hire outside auditors for internal audits
9. Issue an apology from the CEO
Another heated crisis came about when United Airlines accidentally broke a musician’s guitar while traveling. Angered and upset with United Airlines after they broke his guitar, Dave Carroll made several fury-filled videos giving United a bad name. Here is his video, see for yourself!
If a company encounters a crisis such as this, it is important to handle it in a timely fashion, and to handle it properly.